Friday, August 16, 2019

Numidian Cavalry

After busy 5 months I'm finally back to the brushes and painting ancients! But not just any ancients.
I decided to paint myself some numidian cavalry from HAT set. 



Numidians were arguably the best light cavalry in ancient Mediterranean world, with both Rome and Carthage using their service as mercenaries.






In my opinion the hardest part in painting native North Africans is getting the skin color right. I have seen countless examples of numidians, Egyptians and Libyans portrayed with dark, brown or black skin (which is a feature characteristic for sub-saharan peoples such as Nubians). In contrast numidians should be portrayed with skin closer to South European culture group (Spaniards or Italians).


Thanks for reading!
Cheers,
Jacob

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful work mate. The horses in particular look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I took me ages to highlight all the muscles.
      Beautiful sculpts on Hat part.

      Delete
  2. Agreed with Sprinks, very nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work! Love the painting of the horses top job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love these ones, wonderful paint job on the horses (something I don't like to paint).

    ReplyDelete